Friday, December 01, 2006

Paintings for the Salinas Gallery




Last month I signed up with a co-op gallery in old town Salinas through a friend of a friend. It's right by the Steinbeck center, so it gets some pretty decent foot traffic. They liked my work a lot so they're pretty much letting me do anything I want within reason. They particularly liked the "comfy chair" painting, so I decided to do a series of paintings with a similar theme. For the past few weeks I've been tirelessly painting to create something to sell.

This'll be really good for me because it'll really, truly force me to paint a lot more AND it'll teach me to be able to part with my paintings, which has always been hard for me - particularly because I haven't been very prolific. I'm also going to work on the speed of my painting, which may seem like a bit of a trite concern, but I really think I'll benefit greatly from that. From here on I'm going to be very experimental with my paintings. Right now I'm working on some much looser work, making extensive use of the pallette knife, which creates some pretty cool effects once you get comfortable with it.

These 3 paintings are what I've come up with. Let me know what you all think.

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

WOW!! THese paintings are gorgeous!

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for commenting my my blog, Ron! Are you a SJSU graduate? I'll be graduating next semester.. hope I'll be able to find a job!
Your paintings are wonderful!! I have so much to learn from great painters like you. :)

8:56 PM  
Blogger SILVER KNIGHT said...

these are really great! really like the second painting!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

These are great Ron! Sorry I never got back to you, the shit kind of hit the fan.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Ron Bowman said...

Hey Erin. Thanks for the extremely kind words! I I graduated from the SJSU illustration dept in 2003.

Good luck on graduation. I myself work at a pretty boring graphic design job right now but am gearing up to send more portfolios to animation studios again. Anyone who knows of an opening, let me know! :). It can be pretty difficult, but I have to say I've been a slacker on that front for a couple of years - you should submit your portfolio everywhere you can right when you graduate. You've got nice work.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Marcelo Braga said...

THAT's something I would put on my living room wall...

11:23 AM  
Blogger The Pencil Box said...

Ron B./ what else can I say that already hasn't been said? Bravo my friend...bravo!!!-WP

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ron, Jackson from aaron brothers. You got some fantastic paintings. Great work! You have a good sense of value in the paintings. When you get a chance, check out my new blog!

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jeeezzz...these are awesome. great mood and lighting. Cant wait to see more of your stuff.

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent work Ron. I'm sure you'll have praise from critics and collectors alike.

2:05 AM  
Blogger Sarah Dicken said...

Wow Ron, these paintings are incredible!!! Many congratulations for getting the gallery spot, you obviously deserve it, and I know you will do awesome. :)

I love the soft, gentle feeling of the first painting. The second has such great lighting, it makes me want to jump in the painting and go hang out there! I love the mood you were able to capture in the last one. The candles, hat over the woman's eyes... it all works together to tell a story. Very nice stuff.

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the heads up on sketchcrawl. I won't be able to make it on sat., but when you're free, we should go painting.

3:08 AM  
Blogger Dave Dick said...

All three are really beautiful! My favourite is the second one but all are wonderful. You have a great eye for colour!

4:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home