Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Sunset in Big Sur


This is a new painting I did for the Salinas gallery. I used several photos I'd taken at Big Sur and Cozumel (just for the sky) as reference. I used the lighting from some photos and the rocks and water from other photos and used my imagination to figure out how those objects would look in the different light. It was pretty challenging, but it turned out pretty good I think.

At 24" by 36", this is the biggest painting I've ever done. It took 15 scans to get it all scanned into the computer - luckily I recently got a newer, faster scanner and it only took about 45 minutes to do that. I then carefully pieced it together in Photoshop. Unfortunately, the bright areas of the painting were bleached out a bit. I'll have to learn how to override the scanner's "smart" exposure adjustment in the future. (I don't think it's very smart in this case!)

This time I used acrylic instead of oil. The oil paintings just take so long to dry that I thought I should build up an inventory with some acrylic and multi-media paintings before I do more oils.

11 Comments:

Blogger Annie Fix said...

This is beautiful, Ron! I love the sunlight breaking through the wave-- nice touch!

8:22 PM  
Blogger Braden Matt said...

Thanks for the generous comments on my blog. All I can say is WOW! You have a great eye for capturing life. Your paintings are stunning. The light, color and compostions are spot on. Very nice work.

5:03 PM  
Blogger dave yee said...

Hey Ron, the paintings on your blog are great. Hope things are going well with you

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally another post, awesome. When is you show at the gallery I would love to stop by and see it.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Tim Bye said...

Fantastic painting!!!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Colin Fix said...

Very pertty Ron Bowman. POW!!!!!

11:38 AM  
Blogger The Pencil Box said...

Amazing Ron B. I digs the majestic composition and the use of light. Simply amazing!!!-WP

5:02 PM  
Blogger SILVER KNIGHT said...

beautiful painting Ron!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Peter Gikandi said...

These are beautiful paintings Ron.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Jackson Dryden said...

This is some lovely work, Ron. I like the green of the cresting wave. It's good to see new stuff from you. Let me know when you get some time to paint.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

wow - great work. Really nice palette of blues. Water feels alive.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home