Wednesday, May 02, 2007

More paintings...






I did some outdoor painting in the Berkeley hills with Noah, Jackson, and Daniel last weekend. The top two pieces are what resulted. On the first piece I had the challenge of simplifying enormous amounts of visual information. It was pretty difficult and I learned a lot from it. For the second, my painting of the hillside was pretty dead and wasn't going anywhere, so I took inspiration from Noah's recent pushing of his artwork and decided to do the same with this one, taking it in a whimsical direction. I don't think I'd ever done anything quite like that before. The third painting was done the next day in my own backyard.


The last two paintings are the same ones from my previous post, but with more work added to them. I thought they had a lot of potential as pieces to put in the gallery, but felt they needed a bit more pizzaz. For the dirt road I brought out more of the colors in the shrubbery and developed the shadows more. I originally created the Monterey coastal cliff image just to practice rendering the rocks and didn't pay much attention to the composition at the time. As such, I felt the composition was too blandly horizontal and lacked a focal point. I added some opposing mass to it in the form of the kelp forest and added some interest with a cute little sea otter. I think people visiting Salinas/Monterey will like that. How can you resist one of those cute little fellas?

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

beautiful!!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

especially love the beautiful lighting abd textures in the bottom two pieces

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice, I love the abstracted hillside full of houses. I too had a great deal of fun painting with the group.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Peter Gikandi said...

Damn, Ron.. These are awesome pieces. Not overpainted, nice subtle palette

3:16 PM  
Blogger Jackson Dryden said...

I love the final result of the two you did in Berkley. Awesome work!

11:24 AM  
Blogger daniel nordaas said...

what a great day that was. i look forward to more to come. i love both of the pieces. great job of capturing the whimsical essence of the sun soaked hillside.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Colin Fix said...

Once again Ron Bowman, dope plein air paintings. You're really nailing the atmospheric perspective.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home