Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Something Different...




I have to say the plein air landscape studies have really sharpened my skills in the way I was hoping they would and this portrait piece I did this week benefited from that. I really think I've loosened up, sped up and improved my command of the brush.


I've been doing some sketchbook work lately and I'm trying to express myself more. The Fox News piece had to be done. I watch it sometimes just for how ludicrous it is. It's like watching the American version of North Korean television (which, by the way, you can see on YouTube - very very entertaining). I think it expresses my feelings pretty well about what our current administration is up to. I'm curious as to whether all the metaphors come across clearly. The piece with the pigs is an old piece I did for Barron Storey's class a few years ago about the fashion industry and the pressure people have to be thin. I plan to do more like these.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

3 very different pieces, great photo real in the top one, and bold expressiveness in the bottom two.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow these are different. You sure are versatile Ron.
It's good to see you pushing yourself as well.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Dave Dick said...

Really amazing work!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Ryan Bullard said...

You've got some really great stuff here, nice work!

12:51 AM  
Blogger Jackson Dryden said...

What a great departure form the landscapes. So different. It really shows how versatile you are. Great work!

12:08 PM  
Blogger Miss Sasha said...

Ron, I love these pieces. Not sure what to say that hasn't been said by the other 5 people that posted comments. Anyway, thanks for your comment on my blog! I feel popular and it's nice to see an SHM alumnus :)

3:03 PM  
Blogger Matt E. said...

Ron, I still enjoy your stuff after all these years. The first is great, the second really reminds me of an album cover from the Dead Kennedy's last one "Bedtime for Democracy", Google the image. It's not a bad thing, yours is sort of an update. Anyway, awesome, great to see it and you.
--Matt Estrada

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home